Partner | [email protected]
Mona Kaveh is a partner at Kemp Jones, LLP and practices primarily in the area of complex commercial litigation. She has successfully litigated several cases on behalf of her clients, including participating in trying jury trials to verdict in both state and federal court. Mona has obtained significant monetary awards for her clients, as well as successfully defended them against claims that sought damages in the multi-millions. Based upon her exceptional advocacy and legal accomplishments, she has been named one of America’s Top 100 Attorneys, a lifetime achievement award given to less than one-half percent of attorneys in the United States. She has also been named a Mountain States Rising Star by Super Lawyers for the years 2020-2022.
Mona also dedicates a portion of her practice to pro bono legal services. She is actively involved with the Children’s Attorneys Project through the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, where she represents abused and neglected children who are placed in foster care. Due to her commitment to the program, Mona has received several awards for her pro bono hours and has been nominated by the organization as a “pro bono master.” In 2017, she received the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada’s Myrna Williams Children’s Pro Bono Award and, in 2018, she received the organization’s highest award of Pro Bono Attorney of the Year. In 2019, Mona was one of three individuals in the United States to receive the prestigious American Bar Association’s Pro Bono Publico Award and was also presented with a proclamation from the Clark County Board of Commissioners that same year. In 2020, the William S. Boyd School of Law presented Mona with its highest public interest award, the Silver Staircase Award.
Mona was born and raised in Las Vegas, Nevada. She obtained her Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism and Media Studies with a Criminal Justice minor from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on a full-tuition scholarship. Mona graduated early with an Honors diploma and a magna cum laude designation. She obtained her Juris Doctorate degree from the William S. Boyd School of Law. Throughout law school, Mona worked at a criminal defense and civil litigation law firm, while simultaneously volunteering her time with the Kids Court School, Street Law Program, the Law School’s Mentorship Program, and the Partners in Pro Bono Program. She also served as an extern with the Children’s Attorneys Project at the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, as well as with the Honorable James M. Bixler at the Eighth Judicial District Court.
Mona is admitted to practice law before the state and federal courts of Nevada, the state courts of California, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States. She is a member of the American Bar Association, the Clark County Bar Association, the Nevada Justice Association, the Young Lawyers Section of the State Bar of Nevada, and was also invited to join the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada’s Pro Bono Advisory Council in 2019. Mona is also a 2018 graduate of Leadership Las Vegas, a premier community leadership program offered by the Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce for professionals who want to make a positive impact in the community.
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, J.D., 2009
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada (Honors College), B.A. in Journalism and Media Studies with Criminal Justice Minor, magna cum laude, 2005
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Mountain States Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2020-2022
- Silver Staircase Award, Public Interest Law Association at William S. Boyd School of Law, 2020
- Clark County Board of Commissioners Proclamation, 2019
- American Bar Association’s Pro Bono Publico Award, 2019
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Year Award, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, 2018
- Myrna Williams Children’s Pro Bono Award, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, 2017
- Nominated by the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada as a “Pro Bono Master,” 2017
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys, 2017
- Pro Bono Project, 100 Hour Club, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
- Pro Bono Project, 50 Hour Club, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
PUBLISHED WORKS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Author, “Thank you!” Communiqué, Feb. 2019.
- Author, “Building a Child (And Yourself).” Communiqué, Oct. 2014.
- Speaker, Public Interest Law Association Panel Series: Law Firm/Pro Bono, Oct. 2019.
- Speaker, Find it Free and Fast on the Net: Strategies for Legal Research on the Web, Government Internet Resources: Federal State and Local, Dec. 2015.
- Nevada State Treasurer’s Office, featured on social media as part of Women’s History Month, Mar. 2021 & 2022
- Robert, Amanda. “‘Fighting for them’ – Mona Kaveh gives a voice to foster children in Las Vegas.” ABA Journal, Feb./Mar. 2021, pgs. 61-62, 64.
- Hees, Gael. “Fostering a Better Future.” UNLV Law Magazine, 2019, p. 8.
- “Kaveh Receives Prestigious American Bar Association Award.” Nevada Lawyer, Aug. 2019, p. 35.
- “Mona Kaveh 2019 Pro Bono Publico Award Recipient.” YouTube, uploaded by Bill Jones, Aug. 2019.
- “Mona Kaveh’s Challenge to the Legal Community.” YouTube, uploaded by Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Feb. 2019.
- “Mona Kaveh – 2018 Pro Bono Attorney of the Year.” YouTube, uploaded by Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Dec. 2018.
- “Mona Kaveh – 2017 Myrna Williams Children’s Pro Bono Award.” YouTube, uploaded by Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Dec. 2017.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bar Association, Member
- Clark County Bar Association, Member
- Leadership Las Vegas, Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce, Graduate
- Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada’s Pro Bono Advisory Council, Member
- Nevada Justice Association, Member
- State Bar of California, Member
- State Bar of Nevada, Member
- Young Lawyers Section of the State Bar of Nevada, Member