Michael Gayan practices in many areas of civil litigation and focuses most of his efforts on prosecuting class actions and mass actions on behalf of individuals, complex commercial litigation, wrongful death actions, and construction defect litigation. He has helped try cases to verdict and recovered more than $300 million for his clients, including In re: Kitec Fitting Litigation, the largest class action case ever tried in Nevada. Michael has litigated before state and federal trial courts in Nevada and throughout the country from California to Massachusetts as well as the Nevada Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Based on his successes, Michael has been recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers from 2012-2017. He has served as a contributing author of the American Bar Association’s Survey of State Class Action Law for a number of years. Reported cases on which he’s worked include Principal Investments, Inc. v. Harrison, 366 P.3d 688 (Nev. 2016), Barrett v. Eighth Judicial District Court, 331 P.3d 892 (Nev. 2014), Vanguard Piping Systems, Inc. v. Eighth Judicial District Court, 309 P.3d 1017 (Nev. 2013), Slaughter v. Uponor, Inc., 475 Fed.Appx. 150 (9th Cir. 2012).
Michael enjoys giving back to the community by litigating pro bono matters for those in need and has received several awards for the number of hours he’s donated. His pro bono matters have ranged from representing foster children in family court to successfully litigating a construction defect matter on behalf of the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada to prosecuting a class action on behalf of more than 10,000 payday loan customers. Born and raised in Wisconsin, Michael earned his undergraduate degree in finance from Brigham Young University in 2004 and graduated cum laude from the Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada Las Vegas in 2008. He is admitted in Nevada state and federal courts and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- William S. Boyd School of Law, cum laude, 2008
- Brigham Young University, B.S., Business Management, 2004
Bar and Court Admission:
- Nevada, 2008
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Memberships and Activities:
- State Bar of Nevada
- Clark County Bar Association
- Nevada Justice Association
- Co-author: Survey of State Class Action Law, Nevada published annually by the American Bar Association
- Judicial extern to the Honorable Robert C. Jones, United States District Court, District of Nevada
- Author: Judge Dredd: Hollywood Fiction or Las Vegas Reality? 8 NLJ 698 (2008)
- Judge Dredd: Hollywood Fiction or Las Vegas Reality? 8 NLJ 698 (2008)
- Super Lawyers, Mountain States Rising Stars (2012 to present)
- Clark County Pro Bono Project, Honor Roll (multiple years)